This creamy Wild Rice Mushroom Soup is vegan, gluten-free and made in a Dutch Oven for an easy, healthy 30 minute meal . A one pot wild rice mushroom soup recipe that's easy to make and so healthy and pairs well with my swirled Vegan Garlic Bread or easy Focaccia Bread!
So happy to finally share this wild rice mushroom soup with you today. Right after this picture (which was a test picture) was taken, my camera fell off the overhead arm of the C-stand right into this bowl of soup, shattering my favorite bowl and splattering the soup everywhere. My dog enjoyed the flavor as he licked it off the floor; I think that's a good sign!
HINT: If you love mushrooms, try my grilled Portobello Mushroom Burger, my Vegan Mushroom Wellington, or my Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff. For more soup recipes, try my Chickpea Red Pepper Soup, Vegan Guinness Irish Stew, Vegan Corn Chowder or these 28 Vegan Soup Recipes where you're sure to find your favorite.
What Goes In To Wild Rice Mushroom Soup?
heavy cream - this ingredient is optional, but if you're like me and want a creamier soup without worrying about the additional calories and fat, it's a game changer. I use a brand from a Dutch Ex Pat site called Alpro but it’s frequently sold out. Here’s another plant- based cooking cream you can try. If unavailable, simply substitute with Coconut Heavy Cream by #EdwardandSons (if you don't mind the mild coconut flavor) or a neutral, creamy plant milk such as oat or cashew milk.
wild rice - for this soup, a wild rice blend, like Lundberg or Rice Select Royal Blend, works best. These brands contain a beautiful assortment of black, brown, red and wild rice that works beautifully in soups and other rice dishes.
mushrooms - whether you choose white button mushrooms or the more intensely flavorful cremini mushroom, this wild rice mushroom soup loves mushrooms that are plump and dry with a fresh smooth appearance.
How to Make Wild Rice Mushroom Soup
1 - in a small bowl make roux by combining ½ teaspoon xanthium gum and heavy cream. Stir with fork until smooth. Set aside. Melt butter over medium heat in your Dutch Oven. Throw in garlic and onion and sauté until onion is translucent.
2 - add chopped carrots, celery, dried sage and cumin to onion mixture.
3 - stir until veggies are well-coated with spices. Continue to sauté over medium heat until veggies are nearly fork-tender.
4 - add mushrooms.
5 - stir ingredients well and sauté until mushrooms begin to "sweat". Add white wine and cook about 1 minute.
6 - pour in vegetable broth. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low while continuing to stir.
7 - add wild rice and thyme.
8 - stir until ingredients are well-incorporated.
9 - using a fork, stir roux to break up contents that have settled, then pour slowly into wild rice and mushroom soup while stirring constantly. Bring to boil for 1 minute, continuing to stir. Reduce heat and add in heavy cream just until heated through. Remove from heat, cover, and let sit for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish wild rice mushroom soup recipe with fresh thyme and parsley, or your own favorite garnishes.
Absolutely. And it will have minimal impact on the taste.
I use a brand called Alpro Cuisine Soya Light. A link to this product is included in recipe notes and substitutions above.
You may store soup in an airtight container in your refrigerator up to 4 days.
Yes. You can freeze this vegan soup recipe in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
I made this easy, 30 minute vegan soup recipe with my brand new, cobalt blue Lodge 7.5 Quart Dutch Oven. If you don't have one of these highly-recommended- by-me products yet, you can click on the link above to purchase it and have it by tomorrow. I promise, this is a MUST-HAVE KITCHEN ESSENTIAL and, if well taken care of it will last you a lifetime. You can also use a regular large pot.
Other equipment you'll need to make this wild rice mushroom soup is:
- wooden spoon
- cutting board,
- rice cooker
- chef's knife.
Related Recipes You'll Love
Have you tried this? Why not leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter, and sign up for my newsletter!
Creamy Wild Rice Mushroom Soup (Dutch Oven)
- 3 tablespoon vegan butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1.5 cups onion chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1.5 cups carrots chopped
- 1 lb mushrooms see notes for which work best
- 32 oz vegetable broth sodium-free or low sodium preferred
- 0.5 cup white cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon xanthium gum or cornstarch
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves plus extra for garnish
- 2 cups wild rice cooked
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1.5 cups vegan heavy cream optional
- In small bowl, combine heavy cream and xanthium gum or cornstarch, stirring constantly with fork until mixture is smooth. Set aside. This is your roux. In Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté until onion is translucent.
- Add carrots, celery, cumin and sage.
- Stirring frequently, sauté for 5 minutes, or until veggies begin to soften.
- Add mushrooms and stir well. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until mushrooms begin to "sweat".
- Add white wine. Stir and simmer for 1 minute.
- Pour in vegetable broth. Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste. Bring to boil. Slowly stir roux into soup mix, stirring constantly. Cook until thickened, usually only about 1 minute.
- Add in cooked wild rice and thyme. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Optional: if you desire a lighter colored, creamier soup and don't mind the extra calories and fat, at this point you should stir in the vegan heavy cream and simmer over low flame until thoroughly heated.
- Ladle into bowls. Garnish with your favorites, including fresh thyme and parsley. Serve immediately.
- Nutritional information is calculated without vegan heavy cream and is an estimate, not a guarantee!
- heavy cream is optional, but if you're like me and want a creamier soup without worrying about the additional calories and fat, it's a game changer. I use a brand from a Dutch Ex Pat site called Alpro Cuisine Soya Light. You may substitute with Coconut Heavy Cream by #EdwardandSons (if you don't mind the coconut flavor) or a neutral, creamy plant milk such as oat or cashew milk.
- For this soup, a wild rice blend, like Lundberg or Rice Select Royal Blend, works best. These brands contain a beautiful assortment of black, brown, red and wild rice that enhances the taste and appearance of soups and other rice dishes.
- Whether you choose white button mushrooms or the more intensely flavorful cremini mushroom, look for mushrooms that are plump and dry with a fresh smooth appearance.
- If you don't drink, or have kids to whom you're serving, feel free to omit the white wine.
- As long as you put leftovers in an airtight container, you may store in your refrigerator for up to 4 days and freezer for up to 3 months.