This hearty tomato basil pasta is topped with a rich, creamy vegan pasta sauce that's loaded with healthy vegetables including fresh tomatoes, basil and wild mushrooms, and seasoned with flavorful spices.
I love cooking vegan pasta any time of the year. Because it's made on the stove top, it doesn't create too much heat in the kitchen when you're cooking in the summer. It also warms up the kitchen just enough in the cold of winter. I especially love this Hearty Tomato-Basil Vegan Pasta as the flavors are so rich and decadent, you'd never know it takes less than 30 minutes to prepare.
This Vegan Pasta recipe is loaded with protein and contains less than 500 calories per serving. It's also packed with minerals, with one serving giving you a healthy dose of iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium and zinc. Because pasta is very filling, you won't have to worry about getting hungry before bedtime.
To save on calories, I served this pasta dish with a simple green salad topped with only tomatoes and balsamic vinaigrette. If you don't mind the calories, by all means, add some tasty vegan garlic bread to your meal. Better yet, try my Vegan Garlic Naan, a staple to any meal.
I made just enough of this Hearty Tomato Basil Mushroom Pasta to have leftovers for lunch today. I love leftover pasta and tend to eat it right out of the refrigerator. Cold pasta is a refreshing treat in the summer time and it's so filling, I may not even eat dinner tonight. If I don't, I'll be sure to have a delicious breakfast tomorrow morning of my Easy Vegan Overnight Oats. If you decide to try this recipe, please leave a comment and let me know how it turned out. I hope you love it as much as I did. See you in the kitchen!
Hearty Tomato-Basil Pasta
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 17.6 ounces 500 grams tri-colored Farfalle pasta (or pasta of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- ½ medium red onion chopped
- 3 medium garlic cloves minced
- 2 medium portobello mushroom caps stems and gills removed; chopped
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning Blend or substitute oregano
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 14.5 ounces 411 grams organic canned diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoon organic tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ½ cup chopped basil firmly packed
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Soak cashews in bowl of boiling water for at least 1 hour. Drain and rinse. Add them to food processor along with almond milk and pulse until smooth. Set aside.
- Cook pasta in large pot of rapidly boiling salted water until al dente. Remove from heat. Drain and set aside.
- In large wok, heat olive oil on medium heat for 2 minutes. Add onion and garlic and saute until onion is translucent. Add mushrooms, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and cumin and stir thoroughly. Continue cooking until mushrooms are wilted.
- Add diced tomatoes and stir until well-blended. Add cashew cream, tomato paste, nutritional yeast, basil and sea salt and pepper. Stir well and continue cooking for 10 more minutes until thoroughly heated through. Spoon over pasta and serve immediately with fresh green salad and bread of your choice.