This Pear, Pecan and Portobello Mushroom Salad is easy to make and so healthy. Get your greens on with this mushroom salad recipe.
After starting my week eating half a dozen Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies, I thought I'd lighten up my dinner menu by creating a tasty portobello mushroom salad. But not just any portobello mushroom salad. I also threw in some pears, pecans, red onion, cucumber and avocado for a delicious, protein-packed meal that hopefully counteracted the cookie monster in me.
This recipe was adapted from Angela Liddon's Walnut, Avocado and Pear Salad with Marinated Portobello Caps and Red Onion from the Oh She Glows Cookbook. I made some changes that, in my opinion, make the dish a little easier to prepare. What did I do differently?
Instead of marinating and then grilling the portobello mushroom caps and red onion in a grill pan (which I don't have), I sauteed them in vegetable broth and garlic. I also added some fresh cucumber and switched the walnuts for pecans. It's not that I have anything against walnuts, I just prefer the toasty taste of pecans over walnuts.
I love eating salads for dinner in the summer time when turning on a hot oven is just not an option. This Pear, Pecan and Portobello Mushroom Salad is light enough to keep you from feeling weighted down, but heavy enough that you won't feel hungry an hour after eating it.
As far as nutrition goes, you won't get any healthier than this salad. Low in calories and unhealthy fats and packed with protein, this recipe is something you're sure to revisit again and again. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. And if you want to try something different, top this Portobello mushroom salad with my Strawberry Champagne Vinaigrette!
Have you tried this? Why not leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter, and sign up for my newsletter!
Pear, Pecan and Portobello Mushroom Salad
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps stems and gills removed and sliced into large strips
- ½ medium red onion finely chopped
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1 pear ripe, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 avocado pitted and chopped
- ½ medium cucumber peeled and chopped
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- ¼ cup balsamic vinaigrette.
- Wash the mushroom caps and dry with paper towel rubbing off any excess debris. Remove stems by twisting until they pop off. Scrape out gills with small spoon and discard.
- Heat vegetable broth and garlic in medium skillet. Add mushrooms and red onion and saute until mushrooms are tender and onions are translucent. Add more vegetable broth as needed. Set aside.
- Place greens into large salad bowl. Add pear, avocado, cucumber and chopped pecans. Toss, then top with mushrooms and red onion and drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette. Serve with warm, vegan-buttered bread.