This smashed avocado toast is high protein with a whopping 9 grams of protein per slice, 10 grams of dietary fiber, requires only 5 ingredients and takes less than 5 minutes to prepare. Full of plant-based goodness, this is a smashed avocado toast recipe you can enjoy for a low calorie breakfast or snack.
If you've ever had a craving for a healthy vegan breakfast or snack, but didn't know what to make, you must try my smashed avocado toast. Chock full of plant-based goodness, this recipe packs a mean nutritional punch that will sustain you for hours (I swear, I ate it for breakfast this morning and haven't been hungry since). And, if you love recipes with avocado, try this creamy Avocado Pasta.
Hint: if you'd rather have something sweet for breakfast, try my Overnight Chia Pudding that tastes just like banana bread or my Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes! And if you love toast recipes, try my Vegan French Toast with pecan crust.
🥑 What Goes In To Smashed Avocado Toast?
📋 INGREDIENT NOTES AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- avocado - when choosing avocados for this recipe, pick each one up and gently press on the skin. Ripe avocados should have a little give - leave a hint of a fingerprint - but still feel firm and not squishy.
- cherry tomatoes - pick cherry or grape tomatoes with firm, taut skin and deep red color. Alternatively, if you can get them on the vine, even better!
- seeds - using a variety of seeds will give you the most health benefits. Suggestions include pepitas, sunflower seeds, and chia seeds.
🔪 How to Make Smashed Avocado Toast
Smashed avocado toast is so easy to make, even a 4 year old can do it. Simply layer 4 pieces of toast with mashed avocado seasoned with sea salt and pepper to taste, nutritional yeast, pepitas and cherry tomatoes. Serve immediately for breakfast or a light snack. Soooooo easy peasy!
👪 Serving Suggestions
The sky's the limit on what you can add to this high protein avocado toast, including:
- chia seeds
- sunflower seeds
- sliced red onion
- sliced radish
- chopped cilantro or parsley
- fresh basil
- fresh lemon juice
- vegan parmesan
To keep avocados from turning brown, add some sea salt and lemon juice and give it a stir. This won't keep them from turning brown forever, but it will hinder the process.
For best results, serve recipe immediately. Storing in the refrigerator eventually turns the avocado brown.
🍞 RELATED RECIPES
Have you tried this? Why not leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter, and sign up for my newsletter!
High Protein Smashed Avocado Toast
- 4 slices rye or whole wheat toast
- 2 avocados seeded & mashed
- 8 cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 2 tablespoon pepitas
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Toast bread.
- Mash avocado with sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Layer toast with avocado, nutritional yeast, pepitas and cherry tomatoes. Serve immediately.
- Nutritional information is an estimate, not a guarantee.
- For best results, serve immediately.
- When choosing avocados for this recipe, pick each up and gently press on the skin. Ripe avocados should have a little give, but still feel firm and not squishy.
- Pick cherry or grape tomatoes with firm, taut skin and deep red color. If you can get them on the vine, even better!
- Using a variety of seeds will give you the most health benefits. Suggestions include pepitas, sunflower seeds, and chia seeds.
- To keep avocado from turning brown right away, squirt some lemon juice in bowl before mashing.