This smashed avocado toast is high protein with a whopping 9 grams of protein per slice, 10 grams of dietary fiber, requires only 5 ingredients and takes less than 5 minutes to prepare. Full of plant-based goodness, this is a smashed avocado toast recipe you can enjoy for a low calorie breakfast or snack.
If you’ve ever had a craving for a healthy vegan breakfast or snack, but didn’t know what to make, you must try my smashed avocado toast. Chock full of plant-based goodness, this recipe packs a mean nutritional punch that will sustain you for hours (I swear, I ate it for breakfast this morning and haven’t been hungry since).
🥑 What Goes In To Smashed Avocado Toast?
📋 INGREDIENT NOTES AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- avocado – when choosing avocados for this recipe, pick each one up and gently press on the skin. Ripe avocados should have a little give – leave a hint of a fingerprint – but still feel firm and not squishy.
- cherry tomatoes – pick cherry or grape tomatoes with firm, taut skin and deep red color. Alternatively, if you can get them on the vine, even better!
- seeds – using a variety of seeds will give you the most health benefits. Suggestions include pepitas, sunflower seeds, and chia seeds.
🔪 How to Make Smashed Avocado Toast
Smashed avocado toast is so easy to make, even a 4 year old can do it. Simply layer 4 pieces of toast with mashed avocado seasoned with sea salt and pepper to taste, nutritional yeast, pepitas and cherry tomatoes. Serve immediately for breakfast or a light snack. Soooooo easy peasy!
👪 Serving Suggestions
The sky’s the limit on what you can add to this high protein avocado toast, including:
- chia seeds
- sunflower seeds
- sliced red onion
- sliced radish
- chopped cilantro or parsley
- fresh basil
- fresh lemon juice
- vegan parmesan
To keep avocados from turning brown, add some sea salt and lemon juice and give it a stir. This won’t keep them from turning brown forever, but it will hinder the process.
For best results, serve recipe immediately. Storing in the refrigerator eventually turns the avocado brown.
🍞 RELATED RECIPES
Have you tried this? Why not leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter, and sign up for my newsletter!
High Protein Smashed Avocado Toast
- 4 slices rye or whole wheat toast
- 2 avocados seeded & mashed
- 8 cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 2 tablespoon pepitas
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Toast bread.
- Mash avocado with sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Layer toast with avocado, nutritional yeast, pepitas and cherry tomatoes. Serve immediately.
- Nutritional information is an estimate, not a guarantee.
- For best results, serve immediately.
- When choosing avocados for this recipe, pick each up and gently press on the skin. Ripe avocados should have a little give, but still feel firm and not squishy.
- Pick cherry or grape tomatoes with firm, taut skin and deep red color. If you can get them on the vine, even better!
- Using a variety of seeds will give you the most health benefits. Suggestions include pepitas, sunflower seeds, and chia seeds.
- To keep avocado from turning brown right away, squirt some lemon juice in bowl before mashing.