This Sweet Potato Oatmeal is bursting with fall flavor and takes only minutes to prepare. Topped with my decadent whipped coconut cream, this is a sweet potato oatmeal recipe that requires only 12 ingredients, is vegan, gluten-free and loaded with nutrition.
Yummy. That's all I have to say about this recipe. And sweet potatoes are so versatile, aren't they? You can sneak them in to just about anything to give your meals an extra healthy boost of flavor and multi-vitamins. Muffins, vegan mushroom wellington, salads, chili, stew, enchiladas, casseroles, smoothies and more. Therefore, the sky's the limit with these spectacular orange-fleshed gems.
Hint: you can also use sweet potatoes instead of bananas in my Overnight Chia Pudding (why didn't I think of that sooner!! If you love anything oat, check out my Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats. And, you gotta try my Vegan French Toast with pecan crust for a decadent treat for breakfast or brunch with a side of my quick and easy Banana Peel Bacon. Speaking of recipes made with ripe bananas, you may also want to try these Vegan Banana Pancakes.
What Goes Into Sweet Potato Oatmeal?
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- oatmilk - you may substitute with any plant-based milk you choose. I also use oatmilk in these Apple Pie Overnight Oats that taste just like apple pie.
- quick oats - you can substitute with any kind of oats you have on hand. Simply adjust the cook time accordingly.
- coconut sugar - you may substitute with brown sugar or omit completely to reduce sugar content of recipe.
- whipped coconut cream and vegan butter - omit both to reduce the fat content in this recipe.
- sweet potatoes - pierce each with fork several times and cook in microwave for 4-5 minutes, or until fork-tender. Alternatively, you may bake in oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 40 minutes.
How to Make Sweet Potato Oatmeal
Step 1. To a medium saucepan, add filtered water, sea salt and oats.
Step 2. Stir. Bring oats to a bubbling boil. Then immediately reduce heat and cook until thickened being careful not to burn. Stir again. Turn burner off and place lid on oatmeal.
Step 3. Prepare cooked sweet potatoes by cutting each in half and, with a spoon, scooping flesh from skin. Place on plate and mash with fork.
Step 4. Prepare whipped coconut cream by adding full fat coconut milk (minus the liquid), powdered sugar and vanilla extract to a medium bowl. With a hand mixer, mix until creamy. Alternatively, you can use a whisk.
Step 5. Top oats with vegan butter, coconut sugar, sweet potato, banana and pecans. Finish with a spoonful (or more) of whipped coconut cream.
Yes. For example, omitting the whipped coconut cream topping and the vegan butter makes this recipe fat-free.
Yes. Simply adjust the cook time and you can use whichever oats you'd like.
Yes. Substituting maple syrup or agave nectar for coconut sugar and omitting the whipped coconut cream will make this recipe refined sugar-free.
Initially, you want high heat to bring the oats to a bubbling boil. Once you see bubbles, immediately reduce heat and stir frequently to avoid burning.
This recipe requires only:
- Homemade Vegan Granola
- Sweet Potato Muffins
- One Pot African Peanut Stew
- Easy Vegan Pumpkin Bread
- Easy Vegan Overnight Oats
- Blood Orange Overnight Oats
More Breakfast Recipes
Have you tried this? Why not leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter, and sign up for my newsletter!
Sweet Potato Oatmeal with Coconut Whipped Cream
- medium pot with lid
- hand mixer or whisk
- serving bowls
- 2 cup filtered water
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Quick Oats or whichever quick oats you have on hand
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 14 oz full fat coconut milk use only top thick white part; store liquid for future use
- ½ cup powdered sugar use more or less for desired sweetness
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cooked sweet potatoes mashed
- 4 tablespoon unrefined coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter optional
- 2 small bananas sliced
- ½ cup pecans whole or chopped
- 1 cup oat milk optional if oats are too thick
- Add filtered water, sea salt and quick oats to a pot.
- Heat over medium heat until it starts to bubble. Reduce heat and simmer until thick and creamy. Stir, cover with lid and set aside.
- Slice cooked sweet potatoes length-wise. With spoon, remove flesh and plate on plate of in bowl. Mash with fork. Set aside.
- Add top fat portion of coconut milk, powdered sugar and vanilla to bowl. Using hand mixer or whisk, blend until creamy. Set aside.
- Scoop oatmeal into bowls. Top with vegan butter, coconut sugar, mashed sweet potato, sliced banana and pecans. Finish with a drizzle of whipped coconut cream. Enjoy!
- you may use any plant-based milk you choose for this recipe.
- you may use any type of oats in this recipe, not just quick oats.
- you may substitute brown sugar for coconut sugar.
- omit whipped coconut cream and vegan butter to make recipe fat-free.
- pierce sweet potatoes with fork several times before cooking. You can either microwave for 4-5 minutes, or bake in oven for approximately 40 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- to avoid burning the oatmeal, start with high heat to bring oats to a bubbling boil. Once you see bubbles, immediately reduce heat and stir frequently, especially on the bottom of the pan to avoid burning.