Sip on this easy Vegan Eggnog that's creamy, eggless, dairy-free, gluten-free and delicious. A favorite holiday drink recipe that has a luxurious, creamy texture and requires only 7 ingredients. It's a vegan version that takes minutes to prepare, is healthier than than traditional eggnog and is so much better than store-bought.
One thing I love about being vegan is that I can veganize practically everything, including this homemade Vegan Eggnog recipe. This easy recipe combines warm spices and other simple ingredients to soothe your soul and ignite your taste buds. No heavy cream, no cashews, no egg yolks, no high speed blender, this is a dairy-free eggnog recipe that can be made at the last minute and tastes amazing. FYI: this is an update of an old post, with an easier recipe, updated photos and step-by-step instructions.
🧾 Ingredients For Vegan Eggnog (With Substitutions)
Ingredients for this vegan eggnog recipe are easy to come by; many of you may have everything you need already in your vegan pantry. If you need to go shopping, here's a list of what you'll need:
- Plant Milk - I prefer extra creamy Oat Milk in this recipe, but you can also use Almond Milk, Soy Milk, Rice Milk, Cashew Milk or your favorite non-dairy milk.
- Organic Cane Sugar - not all white sugar is vegan. Stick with organic to be safe. If you prefer, you can substitute with agave syrup or pure maple syrup. Be sure to adjust the amount to suit your taste.
- JUST Egg - made from mung bean protein, JUST Egg can be used as an egg replacement in many vegan recipes (check out this easy JUST Egg Frittata). If you can't find it in your area, you can substitute with Bob's Red Mill Vegan Egg Replacer or the egg replacer you like best.
- Vanilla Extract - adds an earthy, nutty warm flavor to the eggnog. I don't recommend any other extract for this recipe.
- Cinnamon - a hint of cinnamon goes a long way. Adjust the amount per your taste.
- Allspice - a combination of nutmeg, black pepper, cinnamon and clove. It's heavenly. If you don't have this fabulous concoction simply substitute with ½ teaspoon nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon clove and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Lemon Zest - adds a zingy zest to the recipe. You can also use orange zest.
- Turmeric (optional) - add if you want your vegan eggnog to have more of a yellow color. Start with ½ teaspoon and add more, if needed, to suit your preference.
Exact ingredient amounts can be found in the recipe card below!
🔪 How To Make Vegan Eggnog
In a saucepan, combine 2 cups of plant milk with vanilla extract, cinnamon, allspice and lemon zest. Increase heat to high.
While the milk is heating, whisk the JUST Egg mixture with the organic sugar until thoroughly combined and pale.
When milk is about to boil, remove from heat. Using a strainer, pour the hot plant milk into the JUST Egg and sugar mixture stirring continuously.
Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until it thickens.
Remove from heat and add the remaining ½ cup of plant milk and a pinch of salt.
Stir well and let cool to room temperature. Transfer to refrigerator and chill for 2-4 hours. When ready to serve, pour into glasses and top with a sprinkle of nutmeg and a cinnamon stick. Enjoy!
👨🏿🍳 Expert Tips
- Adjust the amount of organic cane sugar you use to suit your own taste buds.
- If your egg-like mixture doesn't thicken like it should, add about a tablespoon of cornstarch or xanthan gum to a small glass and stir in a bit of water. Pour into the saucepan while you're cooking the mixture, turning up the heat while you stir constantly for about a minute. Remove from heat while continuing to stir for another minute. During the cooling process, you'll see it become thicker.
- Make it a boozy vegan eggnog by pouring in a bit (or a lot, whichever you prefer) of your favorite liquor after you pour the vegan eggnog into your glass. Spiced rum is an excellent choice!
- Add this to your morning coffee as a dairy-free creamer.
🍾 Make It Boozy
Make a boozy vegan eggnog by pouring in an ounce or two of your favorite liquor after you pour the vegan eggnog into your glass. Spiced rum or a smooth brandy are both excellent choices. Be sure to stir well, top with a sprinkle of nutmeg and enjoy!
💭 Frequently Asked Questions
A thicker nut milk or plant milk works best. I suggest cashew milk, coconut milk or extra creamy oat milk for best results.
Sweeten your vegan egg nog with organic cane sugar or natural sweeteners like maple syrup, agave nectar, or coconut sugar. Adjust the sweetness to your liking.
Yes, you can prepare vegan eggnog ahead of time. Store it in the refrigerator and give it a good stir before serving. Some separation may occur, so a quick blend or shake can help restore the consistency.
☕ Serving Suggestions
- Add it to coffee, hot chocolate or pour it over ice cream for an extra special treat. You can even use it in a Vegan Eggnog Latte or make this Vegan Espresso Martini with it.
- Serve it as the beverage of choice with your traditional vegan holiday recipes, such as Vegan Mushroom Wellington, Dairy-Free Mashed Potatoes, Vegan Croissant Stuffing, Vegan Cranberry Sauce and Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts.
- Serve it for holiday brunch with my Gingerbread French Toast Casserole.
Store this creamy vegan eggnog recipe in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to 7 days. Before serving, give this festive drink a good shake or stir.
Freezing is NOT recommended.
🥂 More Holiday Beverages
Have you tried this? Why not leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter, and sign up for my newsletter!
Easy Vegan Eggnog
- 2 ½ cups plant milk
- 1 cup JUST EGG
- ¼ cup organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tsp allspice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- In a saucepan, combine 2 cups of plant milk with vanilla extract, cinnamon, allspice and lemon zest. Increase heat to high.
- While the milk is heating, whisk the JUST Egg mixture with the organic sugar until thoroughly combined and pale.
- When milk is about to boil, remove from heat. Using a strainer, pour the hot plant milk into the JUST Egg and sugar mixture stirring continuously.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until it thickens.
- Remove from heat and add the remaining ½ cup of plant milk and a pinch of salt.
- Stir well and let cool to room temperature. Transfer to refrigerator and chill for 2-4 hours. When ready to serve, pour into glasses and top with a sprinkle of nutmeg and a cinnamon stick. Enjoy!
- Adjust the amount of maple syrup to suit your taste buds.
- If your egg-like mixture doesn't thicken as it should, make a roux out of a tablespoon of cornstarch and a bit of water and add to saucepan. Increase heat while stirring constantly for one minute. Remove from heat while continuing to stir for another minute. Set aside. It should thicken nicely after all that.
- Make it a Boozy Vegan Eggnog by adding your favorite liquor after you pour it in your glass. Spiced rum is perfect!
- Store in your fridge for up to a week.
- Add to your morning coffee for a little holiday boost!