This delicious Cauliflower Colcannon puts a fun and healthy spin on a traditional Irish favorite. Steamed cauliflower paired with fresh kale and green onions makes this dish explode with flavor for a side the whole family will enjoy any time of year.
I hope you all had a wonderful, safe St. Patrick's Day. I'm a little late on this post and meant to post it by Saturday but life happened and I wasn't able to do it until now. I promise you, it tastes just as good! If you've never had Colcannon before, you're in for a real treat. Traditionally, it's a creamy mixture of mashed potatoes, and usually kale or cabbage, with lots of butter and cream. My Vegan Cauliflower Colcannon omits all that dairy and requires only 7 ingredients to make including:
- green onions
- olive oil
- vegan butter
- sea salt and pepper
It's super easy to make and your kitchen will smell glorious when you prepare it. I didn't take a whole lot of pictures so this post is going to be really short. Why didn't I take many pictures? I actually did my first video today. I haven't edited it yet so I have no idea how it's going to turn out, but I tried my hardest and finally did it.
It's almost 2 am in the California Desert. Michael's asleep on the couch and I'm sitting up in my chair trying to get some work done. It seems like life is getting busier and busier and I couldn't be happier that we're only 2 days away from Spring. For the desert that means warmer weather and wild flowers. And I can hardly wait.
Like I said, this is going to be a very short post. Hopefully, I'll have my video of this recipe posted real soon! Are you craving more cauliflower recipes? Try my Healing Turmeric Cauliflower Rice Bowl, my Crispy Coconut Pumpkin Cauliflower Tacos or my Roasted Garlic Mashed Cauliflower with Sauteed Mushrooms.
Have you tried this? Why not leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter, and sign up for my newsletter!
Vegan Cauliflower Colcannon
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon olive oil extra virgin
- 3 cups fresh kale coarsely chopped
- 6 green onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- ¼ cup vegan butter I use Earth Balance Organic
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In large double boiler, steam cauliflower until fork tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Drain. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in large fry pan or wok. Add green onions and kale and saute until kale just begins to wilt.
- Using an immersion blender or potato masher, mash cauliflower until mashed potato consistency. Combine green onions and kale in with mashed cauliflower. Add butter, sea salt and ground pepper and stir to combine thoroughly. Top with a dollop of vegan butter and serve immediately.